Friday, March 18, 2011

Producer: J-kits Interview

Well I’ve Know J-kits for a while now .I went to middle school with him in 1998 .We also went to High School together I can remember him trying to put together complication of artist from the school which I thought was dope. because I thought we had a lot talent people at our school. (some I see them today they say they don't rap no more I’m wondering why cause I thought they were dope)but seeing him take his dream to the next level and continue to pursuing them after high school is to me the amazing thing. He gone on to produce songs for people like Trey Songz, -Shyne, Katy Perry,and Atozzio.And if I'm not mistakein he's done some ghost prodution work as well.I can remember asking him about music when I was in school I always enjoy his answer to stuff i knew nothing about like sampling time. I rember asking him why the complication never came out .and rember him saying it was'nt right? I thinking it sound alright to me .I guess he  has different ear then what i have .I thankful that he decide to do the interview and he was gracious enough to do it and here's  the interview links at the bottom of the Page.


Questions
1. Where are you from originally :

A: Raleigh NC, born & raised

2. What Are your first memories of music :
A: Listening to funk music to from my little league football games w/ my father. And getting my first keyboard at 12.

3. What are first memories of rap music :
A: I can't really remember the the first memories to well, but I'd have to say the Digital Underground "Do the Humpty Hump" video as kid.

4. When did you know you want to make rap music :
A: Well in particularly, rap music became an interest to produce around the time Ruff Ryders was poppin. I was about 12 and got my first keyboard while i was taking lessons. My practice time usually became devoted to making beats lol.

5. What were the first songs you wrote :
A: I didn't really write too many songs, but i did attempt to rap around 13 or 14. But i ended up sticking to my motif lol.

6. What other genres are you interested in other then rap music :
A: ALL OF THEM! From the bottom to the top. It keeps me inspired and open to new elements.

7. What are favorite albums from these other genres and why? :
A: Washed Out "Life of Leisure", St. Germaine "Tourist" ...and many others. I just like albums that aren't always mainstreamed. Underground is where its at. 

8. What are your favorite artist from these genres and why? :
A: Tooooo many to name lol.

9. Do you think lyricism is better rap or in other music such as soul,rock,etc :
A: I could never say that its better in any genre. They all have their own unique expression. I think there is some level of expertise in lyricism for every genre of music.

10. I see you produce what interested you in this aspect of rap music :
A: I would say hiphop is my root. Thats what i began with, and its always with me throughout my productions. But i just love dope hard beats & rhymes. The simplicity of the vibe is what gets my ears clicking.

11. What equipment you use :
A: I produce in Pro Tools mainly as my sequncer, b/c i have a lot of dope plug-ins to mix and tweak on the spot. But mainly virtual instruments and software to create. I also play the guitar, bass, and keys too.

12. Why do you choose to you use this equipment :
A: It just fits my style and work ethic. I never feel limited.

13. Doest  it matter what equipment you have :
A: At the end of the day, it starts in the mind. Its how you use or manipulate the equipment to create that exact idea you feel. Never blame the equip lol

17. Who are some your production influences :
A: Quincy Jones, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Kanye West, The Neptunes, The Funk Brothers, Timbaland, Danny Elfman, and so many more. Too many to name them all.
20. Top 5 producers :
A: Quincy Jones, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, The Funk Brothers, Timbaland, Danny Elfman

21. Top 5 Rappers :
A: Tupac, Kanye West, Eminem, Nas, Jay-Z

22. Top 5 artist :
A: Michael Jackson, Beyonce, James Brown, Prince, Earth Wind & Fire




Here J-Kits Production List :


-Trey Songz:
     "Love Me Better"
     "Here We Go Again"

-Shyne:
     "Roller Song"

-Cyhi Da Prince:
     "Pockets on Swole"

-Katy Perry ft Mims:
     "I Kissed A Girl - Official Remix"

-Ernie Gaines ft T.I. :
     "Sip It"

-J Holiday:
     "Adam & Eve"

-Ashley ft Nicki Minaj
     "T.E.M.P.O.

-Atozzio:
     "Reverse Effect"

-BET The Game:
     Season 4, Episode 8 -"A Very Special Episode" / Dani Wright - "Beautiful Sex"

-Britni Elise:
     "Satisfied"
Links For More Info

J Kits Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment